Burying the Fiddle ceremony
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Dated ca. 1935-1940, this photograph shows the Burying the Fiddle ceremony, a Hungarian custom observed at the beginning of Lent, in Cleveland, Ohio. This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939.
Ohio Federal Writers' Project
- Ohio Digital Network
- Contributing Institution
- Ohio History Connection
- Ohio Guide Collection
- Standardized Rights Statement
- No Copyright - In the United States:The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Ohio Federal Writers' Project. Burying the Fiddle ceremony. 1930s. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p267401coll34/id/6183. (Accessed December 1, 2022.)
- APA citation style
- Ohio Federal Writers' Project, (1930s) Burying the Fiddle ceremony. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p267401coll34/id/6183
- MLA citation style
- Ohio Federal Writers' Project. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p267401coll34/id/6183>.