- View Full Item
- Created Date
During the 18th and 19th centuries, Lancaster was famous for its huge elm trees. Considered the largest in New England, the Great Elm, in 1888, had a circumference of 23 feet at 5 feet above the ground. The height was 95 feet and the branch spread was 114 feet. Eight people with arms outstretched could reach around it. The tree was located on Lover's Lane near the Nashua River in the Five Corners area of town. Unfortunately, during a "cyclonic outburst of the elements," the tree was blown down on July 20, 1907. The Massachusetts Forestry Association, founded in 1898, chose this tree for their seal. It is also used in the logo of the Lancaster Historical Society.
Title from item or accompanying materials.
Date supplied by cataloger.
Published in: Images of America, Lancaster / Heather Maurer Lennon. Charleston, SC ; Chicago IL ; Portsmouth NH ; San Francisco CA. : Arcadia Publishing, 2001
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Lancaster Historical Society
- Rights status not evaluated. You may contact host institution for more information. This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).
- Chicago citation style
- Great elm. 1850-1907. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871g61q. (Accessed December 10, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1850-1907) Great elm. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871g61q
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871g61q>.