Demolition process of the Memorial Field House, 1979
View Full Item
This document is made up of three photographs showing the process of the demolition of the Memorial Field House. The document was probably made after August 13, 1979. The building was closed and was demanded to be demolished on May 10, 1979, and the first photograph appears to have been taken after that date. The photograph shows the front wall of the field house still standing, but the front door and lower windows were already removed. The document says that the second photograph was taken on July 4, 1979. In the image there is a crane working to demolish the arches of the building. The third photograph says that it was taken on August 13, 1979. At this point the field house was completely demolished and the construction wastes were removed. In January 1979, Harvey and Tracy Associates of Worcester, Massachusetts was hired to conduct an in-depth structural analysis and the report was delivered on April 27, 1979, concluded that the lamination of the wood arches had disintegrated and/or had no glue to hold the laminated boards together. The Springfield building commissioner Charles G. Cook Jr. then proceeded to revoke all certificates of inspection, thereby closing the building and demanding that it be demolished on May 11, 1979. The Memorial Field House was originally used as a basic training facility by the US Navy at Sampson, New York. In 1946, Springfield College qualified for a drill hall and the government disassembled and transported the building to Springfield College. The field house was opened on February 21, 1948. On that day the first basketball game was held in the new arena, with Springfield College playing Providence College. William R. Chase, a member of the first group of men to play basketball in 1891, tossed the ceremonial first ball. The building was divided into three sections: the Gymnasium area, the Arena area, and the Class and Game Room area. The Gymnasium area was 140 x 80 feet and could accommodate 5 volleyball, or 9 badminton, or 3 basket ball courts. The arena area comprised 230 feet of open earth surface for field events and had the ability to accommodate 4000 spectators at public events. The class and game room area had space for offices and temporary class-rooms. The building was demolished in 1979, a new Physical Education Complex replaced the Memorial Field House, and was formally dedicated on October 30, 1981.
|Springfield College Archives and Special Collections|
|Memorial Field House|
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Demolition process of the Memorial Field House, 1979. 1979-08. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2872. (Accessed June 18, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1979-08) Demolition process of the Memorial Field House, 1979. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2872
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2872>.