Ronald Reagan speaking at Pepperdine University in 1989
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Ronald Reagan appears at a Pepperdine University Convocation on March 6, 1989, shortly after concluding his eight years as President of the United States, to deliver a speech and answer questions from students. His fifteen minute speech includes his reflections on the presidency, his view of small government, and legislation that he would like to see passed, including a balanced budget amendment, presidential line-item veto power, and repeal of the twenty-second amendment. The bulk of the recording is a forty-five minute question and answer session with a total of twelve Pepperdine University students. Topics during the Q&A session include civil rights, Israeli-Palestinian relations, Reagan's forthcoming memoir, and the Soviet Union. He is introduced by Pepperdine University President David Davenport, who also provides some concluding remarks. President Reagan also receives a surfboard with the Pepperdine logo as a gift from the student body; this is presented by SGA President Chris DiBattista. The event took place in Pepperdine's Firestone Fieldhouse before a capacity crowd of 3,500 students. The entire recording of the March 6, 1989 Convocation is available to visitors in Pepperdine University Libraries Special Collections & University Archives.
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- Pepperdine University, Special Collections and University Archives
- Pepperdine University Historic Pepperdine Films [digital resource], Pepperdine University Special Collections and University Archives
- Motion pictures
Universities & colleges
Politics & government
Firestone Fieldhouse, Malibu Campus
- moving image
- Copyright is retained by Pepperdine University. Materials are intended for educational and research use, and may be used as such with appropriate attribution, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/. Organizations and individuals seeking to use digital materials in this collection for publication must contact Pepperdine University Libraries Special Collections and University Archives, http://library.pepperdine.edu/special-collections/. Such parties furthermore assume all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants of copyright.
- Chicago citation style
- Ronald Reagan speaking at Pepperdine University in 1989. 1989-03-06. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15730.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15730coll1/id/12. (Accessed December 15, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1989-03-06) Ronald Reagan speaking at Pepperdine University in 1989. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15730.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15730coll1/id/12
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15730.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15730coll1/id/12>.