World's Columbian Exposition Horticultural Building
View Full Image
A black and white photograph of the exterior of the Horticultural Building at the World’s Columbian Exposition in 1893. Source: Arnold, C. D. Collection of Photographs Illustrating the Construction and Progress of the World’s Columbian Exposition. 1893. Dimensions: 10"x13". The World's Columbian Exposition ran from May 1 to October 30, 1893. The Horticultural Building was "250 by 298 feet, with eight greenhouses, the dimensions of which are 24 by 100 feet each. The area covered by the display at this point is over five acres." The building was located just south of the entrance to the Midway, opposite the Wooded Island. The exhibits featured flowers, shrubs, trees, fruits and vegetables as well as a special section for wine making. For opening day more than 280,000 Dutch bulbs, mostly tulips, had been planted. Flinn, J., ed. "The Official Guide to the World’s Columbian Exposition." Chicago: The Columbian Guide Company, 1893, pp. 65-69. Bolotin, Norman and Christine Laing. "The Chicago World’s Fair of 1893: The World’s Columbian Exposition." (Washington, D. C.: The Preservation Press, 1992), p. 45. Celebrations and Festivals; Exploring The Columbian Exposition 16 History
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
|World's Columbian Exposition (Chicago, Illinois)|
For any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdcfor more information about this project.