Course for Basketball Trainers, by Alberto Regina
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This is the course book for the Course for Basketball Trainers, written by Alberto Regina in 1942 for a class that he taught. The major parts of the book are: Theory and Practice; Anatomy-Hygiene of Training and First Aid; and Study and Practice of the Game’s Rules. The Theory and Practice parts introduce the game Basketball, the basic principles of the game, some training methods, suggestions and rules of being a coach. The Anatomy-Hygiene of Training and First Aid part teaches coaches related human anatomy and physiology, training hygiene, first aid, and so on. The Study and Practice of the Game’s Rules part teaches coaches the rules of the game and technique of a referee. Many rules and techniques use drawings for better understanding. The book is written in Spanish, and has been translated into English by his daughter, Theresa Regina, Springfield College Class of 1963. This translation can be seen in the text field as well as, in its entirety, here: http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3908. The author, Alberto Regina, was born in 1890 in South America. He started working for the YMCA at the age of 13. He received his undergraduate degree from the YMCA College of the South American YMCA in 1924. He then worked in Chile as the Director of Physical Education. In 1928, he became the Physical Education Director of the YMCA in Argentina and coached the Water Polo team in the 1928 Olympics in Amsterdam. In 1930, Regina came to Springfield College (the International YMCA Training School) for graduate study. He learned a lot about North American sports and physical education during his stay at Springfield College and brought the knowledge back with him. He returned to Argentina and became the Technical Adviser of the Argentine Federation of Sport, 1938-1940. In 1947, Regina traveled to study in different YMCAs in the US, he got sick and underwent an operation then returned to Argentina. Regina died of complications of the surgery on January 24th, 1948.
Translation text divided and changed to txt document with added blank files by Archives staff from original document; Page 85 and Page 86 were not translated by translator and remain blank at this time; Original translators note: The translation attempts to be true o the language and sentiments used; however, there may be some discrepancy regarding terms of the game that were not easily translated. To allow for an easy check with the original, page numbers from the original are included; Original translation can be seen under file name: ms513-01-1-01-03-001 - http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3908
- Regina, Alberto
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College
International Young Men's Christian Association College
Springfield College--Alumni and alumnae
International Young Men's Christian Association
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Regina, Alberto. Course for Basketball Trainers, by Alberto Regina. 1942. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3907. (Accessed July 16, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Regina, Alberto, (1942) Course for Basketball Trainers, by Alberto Regina. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3907
- MLA citation style
- Regina, Alberto. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3907>.