Captain John Bennett house
- View Full Item
- Created Date
The Captain John Bennett House, near the Nashua River on Route 117 in North Lancaster, was built in 1717. Local legend identifies this house as a stopping place on the Underground Railroad for runaway slaves escaping to Canada. This, however, has never been substantiated. From 1872 to 1874, the house was occupied by the first Adventist missionary, J.N. Andrews, who revised his History of the Sabbath while living there.
Title from item or accompanying materials.
Date supplied by cataloger.
Atlantic Union College
Published in: Images of America, Lancaster / Heather Maurer Lennon. Charleston, SC ; Chicago IL ; Portsmouth NH ; San Francisco CA. : Arcadia Publishing, 2001
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Lancaster Historical Society
- Rights status not evaluated. You may contact host institution for more information. This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).
- Chicago citation style
- Captain John Bennett house. 1850-2000. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871h758. (Accessed December 15, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1850-2000) Captain John Bennett house. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871h758
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871h758>.