Chowringhee YMCA (c. 1904)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This lantern slide shows the Chowringhee YMCA in Kolkata (Calcutta), Bangla, India. This branch is Asia’s oldest and still in operation. A significant donation from the Montreal Boys' Department allowed the National Council of India, Burma, and Ceylon to establish their headquarters here. Located on 5 Russell Street, the building was once the former residence of Bishop Reginald Herber, an English clergyman, traveler, man of letters, and hymn-writer. The YMCA renovated the building to include offices, a publishing house, staff apartments, and facilities. In 1889, the Y.M.C.A. International Committee sent a young American named David McConaughy to Madras to serve as the first foreign secretary in India. McConaughy encouraged the development of pre-existing Associations and held the first National Convention in 1891, resulting in the formation of the National Council of India, Burma, and Ceylon. The Association’s most notable contribution in India was their rural development work, first begun by K. T. Paul in 1913. Paul established micro-loan programs that freed the rural poor from the grips of moneylenders and won many converts among India's lower classes.
- W. H. Drew, Stereopticons
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- International Young Men's Christian Association
- Kolkata, West Bengal
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- W. H. Drew, Stereopticons. Chowringhee YMCA (c. 1904). 1904. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3785. (Accessed July 20, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- W. H. Drew, Stereopticons, (1904) Chowringhee YMCA (c. 1904). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3785
- MLA citation style
- W. H. Drew, Stereopticons. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3785>.