War on poverty being won
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A single-handed victory in the war against poverty has been won by a determined 37-year-old Whittier man in a small auto body and fender repair shop in downtown Los Angeles. When Richard Solis, of 11509 Scott Ave., was graduated from Belmont High School 20 years ago, he went to work for a Los Angeles auto shop. As he worked, a dream began to form in his mind. In the dream, he had his own shop. Solis realized that dreams need a little substance so he took his first paycheck and opened a savings account. But the dream went on the shelf when Solis married and had four children. But Solis never forgot the dream. He was in the audience 15 months ago when Frank Martinez, director of the Small Business Development Center in East Los Angeles spoke to the Belvedere Optimists Club. When Martinez explained how the center, operated by the Los Angeles Area Economic Development Agency under the aegis of the Economic and Youth Opportunities Agency, was willing to put a good man into busines for himself, Solis took his dream off the shelf. Photo dated: January 8, 1967.
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- Los Angeles Public Library
- Small business--California--Los Angeles
Los Angeles Herald-Examiner photographs
Herald-Examiner Collection photographs
- Nonprojected graphic
- copyright unknown
The copyright and related rights status of this Item has not been evaluated and/or determined. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information. Please contact: Digitization & Special Collections, Los Angeles Public Library, 630 W. 5th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90071; firstname.lastname@example.org; (213) 228-7353.
- Chicago citation style
- War on poverty being won. 1967. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/DoSearch?index=z&databaseID=968&terms=0000053236. (Accessed October 23, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1967) War on poverty being won. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/DoSearch?index=z&databaseID=968&terms=0000053236
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/DoSearch?index=z&databaseID=968&terms=0000053236>.