Football, SC vs. Harvard (October 26, 1907)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This lantern slide shows a football game played at Cambridge between the International YMCA Training School (now Springfield College) and Harvard during the 1907-1908 academic year. The 1908 Massasoit describes the team as “the greatest since the days of Alonzo Stagg’s wonderful eleven.” Springfield College was considered “easy pickings” for Harvard, but “the clever handling of the forward pass completely demoralized the Harvard team.” The first half ended with no score. Early in the second half, Springfield twice broke through Harvard’s line and blocked Burr’s punts, the second being secured by Colton for a touchdown. Harvard soon scored after a series of fierce line plunges, and the score was tied. A goal by Burr in the last few minutes won the game for Harvard. According to the 1908 Massasoit, “the victory brought no glory with it, the laurels resting with Springfield who outplayed their heavier rivals at all stages of the game.” The score was 9-5. The members of the football team were J. Wheeler Bailey, Chester E. Briggs, Herbert P. Colton, Harry A. Cook, George A. Crispin, Hermann T. Hemmen, Fred L. Honhart, William N. Howard, Thomas E. Jones, J. Howard McCullock, Harry O. McGuire, and Pearl B. Rice. The coach was Russel S. Flower, and the manager was J. H. McCurdy, M.D.
Text on border reads, "Harvard Football Game 1907.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- International Young Men's Christian Association Training School (Springfield, Mass.)
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Football, SC vs. Harvard (October 26, 1907). 1907-10-26. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3548. (Accessed July 17, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1907-10-26) Football, SC vs. Harvard (October 26, 1907). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3548
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3548>.