On the Roosevelt Highway, showing the Malibu Mountains / North of Santa Monica, California
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A view of the Malibu mountains and the Santa Monica Bay, looking north along the Roosevelt Highway.
By the early twentieth century, tourists and residents were traveling to the beach in private cars rather than by mass transit. A popular travel route was the beach road that ran along the beach along the Santa Monica Bay, once known as Sunset Beach. This road was widened by the city of Santa Monica in 1914 and was named Palisades Beach Road in 1915; the beaches beside the road became known as Palisades Beach. By 1916, the two lane road was paved and reinforced with concrete. Palisades Beach Road later became known as Roosevelt Highway and is part of the California State Route 1 that extends 548 miles along the Pacific Coast line, beginning near San Juan Capistrano on the South and extending North through Mendocino County. In the late 1940s, the road along the Palisades beaches was expanded into a six-lane highway, and in the late 1950s, became known as Pacific Coast Highway, or, more commonly, PCH.
Publisher's serial number: 8A-H113
Printed on linen textured paper.
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- Loyola Marymount University, Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library
- Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library, Loyola Marymount University Western Publishing & Novelty Co
- Bays--California--Santa Monica
Pacific Coast Highway
California Highway 1 (Calif.)
Santa Monica Bay (Calif.)
- Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. Please refer to: http://library.lmu.edu/generalinformation/departments/digitallibraryprogram/copyrightandreproductionpolicy/
- Chicago citation style
- Unknown. On the Roosevelt Highway, showing the Malibu Mountains / North of Santa Monica, California. 1938. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://digitalcollections.lmu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/chgface/id/203. (Accessed December 14, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Unknown, (1938) On the Roosevelt Highway, showing the Malibu Mountains / North of Santa Monica, California. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://digitalcollections.lmu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/chgface/id/203
- MLA citation style
- Unknown. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://digitalcollections.lmu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/chgface/id/203>.