Altgeld Hall, Urbana, Illinois
View Full Image
1409 W. Green Street, Urbana. Built in 1897, the architects for Altgeld Hall were Nathan C. Ricker and James M. White. Many consider this National Register property to be the University of Illinois' most important building, both symbolically and architecturally. The "modern" Romanesque design by faculty members Nathan Clifford Ricker and James M. White satisfied the desires of energetic supporter Governor John P. Altgeld for a dignified library building. The building's engineering is as interesting as its design. The second floor is hung from trusses, eliminating the need for interior columns. The building originally served as the Law Building but now houses the Mathematics Library and part of the Department of Mathematics. Altgeld Hall was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. Urban Treasure Hunt 16 History
|Miller, Patricia L, Illinois Heritage Association|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
For any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdcfor more information about this project.