Blue Granite Shift
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Sculpture and Installations
Garden and Landscape
For inSITE94, Mathieu Gregoire created a permanent installation for the central courtyard of the California Center for the Arts, Escondido. Entitled "Blue Granite Shift/Transición del granite azul," the piece is made of granite quarried from the hills surrounding the cultural complex. Extending 500 feet throughout the courtyard, the work moves from rough granite boulders to increasingly more cut and polished stones, finally ending with completely square granite elements. Likewise, the landscaping follows a similar evolution from native plants and trees to more formal and decorative varieties. The work suggests development in the area as having been wrought from the natural environment. --inSITE94
Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego, La Jolla, 92093-0175 (https://lib.ucsd.edu/sca)
This image is a scan of a 35mm color slide from the InSite Archive (MSS 707, Box 309, Folder 05, Item 134)
[Title, Date]. InSite Archive. MSS 707. Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego.
California Center for the Arts Museum (Escondido, Calif.)
- Gregoire, Mathieu (American conceptual artist, born 1953)
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- UC San Diego, Library, Special Collections and Archives
Sculpture (visual work)
Installations (visual works)
Mexican-American border region
- Granite (rock); water; 500 feet long
- No linguistic content
Constraint(s) on Use: This work may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). Use of this work beyond that allowed by "fair use" requires the written permission of the copyright holders(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and any use and distribution of this work rests exclusively with the user and not the UC San Diego Libraries. Inquiries can be made to the UC San Diego Libraries department having custody of the work.
Use: This work is available from the UC San Diego Library. This digital copy of the work is intended to support research, teaching, and private study.
- Chicago citation style
- Gregoire, Mathieu (American conceptual artist, born 1953). Blue Granite Shift. 1994. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb75115834. (Accessed December 12, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Gregoire, Mathieu (American conceptual artist, born 1953), (1994) Blue Granite Shift. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb75115834
- MLA citation style
- Gregoire, Mathieu (American conceptual artist, born 1953). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb75115834>.