- View Full Item
- Created Date
The cast- and wrought-iron Ponakin Bridge (no longer in use, but still standing), spanning the north branch of the Nashua River, was built in 1871. Designed by engineer Simeon S. Post, the Post truss bridge marked the transition from bridges made of wood to those constructed of cast iron and metal. The Atherton Bridge, built in 1870, (still standing with a newer bridge nearby) on Bolton Road is also a Post truss bridge. Designed to support the weight of trains, most of this type were replaced by steel bridges as trains became heavier. The two Lancaster bridges, vast improvements over their predecessors, survived because they were used strictly for highway traffic. There are only 69 other structures from the golden age of iron bridges left in the United States.
Title from item or accompanying materials.
Date supplied by cataloger.
Published in: Images of America, Lancaster / Heather Maurer Lennon. Charleston, SC ; Chicago IL ; Portsmouth NH ; San Francisco CA. : Arcadia Publishing, 2001
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Lancaster Historical Society
- Truss bridges
- Rights status not evaluated. You may contact host institution for more information. This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).
- Chicago citation style
- Ponakin Bridge. 1871-2000. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871k734. (Accessed December 18, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1871-2000) Ponakin Bridge. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871k734
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871k734>.