War Work (1918)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This photograph shows students of the war work course offered at Springfield College, then known as the International YMCA College. These students took the class in the winter of 1918 and are holding an American flag on the steps of Woods Hall. The War Work Group was formed to further and enlarge the present work of the Army and Navy department in meeting the needs of the enlisted men. Springfield College was chosen as one of the training agencies to prepare and equip men for this special task, which was headed by Arthur Rudman. Through a generous donation by Eleanor S. Woods, Woods Hall was erected on May 23, 1904 as a social and dining hall. The first floor had a dining hall, which could accommodate one hundred and twenty-five guests, and a parlor. The second floor was used for dorm rooms. During 1951, Woods Hall was completely renovated to accommodate the college’s first incoming freshman women. The faculty dining room, lobby, conference room and main dining hall were covered with bright tile flooring and an acoustic ceiling was built as well as modern recessed lighting. The most significant renovation occurred in 1961, after which the building was unrecognizable as the original Woods Hall. In 2008, Woods Hall was demolished to make way for the construction of the Richard B. Flynn Campus Union.
The top of the flag hanging on the right appears to have been cut out and reattached. All four corners are missing, a piece of the top edge is gone, and there is a brown stain on the right side.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College
International Young Men's Christian Association College
World War, 1914-1918
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- War Work (1918). 1918. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/4619. (Accessed July 16, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1918) War Work (1918). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/4619
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/4619>.