- View Full Item
- Created Date
Lancaster's first almshouse, established in the early 19th century, was located in a remote section of town near the Old Slate Quarry. Later, it was moved to the Ballard Hill area. This card shows the last "poor farm" facility, which was built there in 1884. Eventually, the building was sold an, in 1947, was converted into the Rest Haven Nursing Home. In 1968, the outdated building was razed and the River Terrace Healthcare facility was put in its place.
Title from item or accompanying materials.
Date supplied by cataloger.
Elizabeth Winslow Colley
Published in: Images of America, Lancaster / Heather Maurer Lennon. Charleston, SC ; Chicago IL ; Portsmouth NH ; San Francisco CA. : Arcadia Publishing, 2001
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Lancaster Historical Society
- Rights status not evaluated. You may contact host institution for more information. This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).
- Chicago citation style
- Town farm. 1884-1947. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871h537. (Accessed December 19, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1884-1947) Town farm. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871h537
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871h537>.