• Creator
  • Miller, Patricia L; Illinois Heritage Association
  • Created Date
  • 09/03/02
  • Description
  • 405 E. John St., Champaign. ATO was founded on the University of Illinois campus in 1895. One founding member was Thomas Arkle Clark, later to become the university's legendary dean of men. The fraternity was at 505 E. Green Street from 1900 until the chapter house, designed by C.H. Blackall of Boston, was built in 1906. ATO sold this property in 1929 and the next year constructed a near duplicate at 1101 with Pennsylvania Avenue, Urbana. Duri... more
    405 E. John St., Champaign. ATO was founded on the University of Illinois campus in 1895. One founding member was Thomas Arkle Clark, later to become the university's legendary dean of men. The fraternity was at 505 E. Green Street from 1900 until the chapter house, designed by C.H. Blackall of Boston, was built in 1906. ATO sold this property in 1929 and the next year constructed a near duplicate at 1101 with Pennsylvania Avenue, Urbana. During 1931-1936 this building was occupied by Sigma Mu Sigma. From 1936 to the present it has been Presby Hall. Urban Treasure Hunt. 16 History. less
  • Format
  • Image37.jpg