• Creator
  • Kinsey, Clark
  • Created Date
  • 1922~
  • Description
  • The Lewis Mills & Timber Company was in business ca. 1910 to 1931, headquartered in South Bend and with logging operations in Frances. In 1924, the company had 100 employees.South Bend is three miles from the mouth of the Willapa River into Willapa Harbor in north central Pacific County. In 1860 this town began as a sawmill. The South Bend Land Company boomed the town and it developed rapidly in the 1890s. The name indicates the distinct bend ... more
    The Lewis Mills & Timber Company was in business ca. 1910 to 1931, headquartered in South Bend and with logging operations in Frances. In 1924, the company had 100 employees.South Bend is three miles from the mouth of the Willapa River into Willapa Harbor in north central Pacific County. In 1860 this town began as a sawmill. The South Bend Land Company boomed the town and it developed rapidly in the 1890s. The name indicates the distinct bend to the south in Willapa River at this point. The name was chosen by local settlers. John B. Woods, the first postmaster, used it for the post office. South Bend is now the county seat of Pacific County and is known for its oyster industry. Frances is now a farming community on Highway Six between Lebam and Pe Ell. The name was given by E.H. McHenry, chief engineer of the Northern Pacific Railroad survey crew who passed through the area in 1892. Frances was Mrs. McHenry's maiden name. The Handy brothers started one of the earlier sawmills at... less
  • Format
  • Photograph
    image
    11 x 14 in.
    Silver gelatin, b/w
    Scanned from a photographic print using a Microtek Scanmaker 9600XL at 100 dpi in JPEG format at compression rate 3 and resized to 768x512 ppi. 2003