- View Full Item
- Created Date
Dickinson house on corner of Belmont Street and Waverly Avenue. Built around 1870, still standing in 2012. This house is one of the high style panel brick or stick style. 2-story rectangular brick block under a hipped roof, the plan of the building is given complexity with 2-story projecting bays. Decorative use of brick is the characteristic feature of this style. It is on the first story paneled above a watertable and three chimneys are elaborately laid in corbelling arches, panels and crenellations with tile and granite block inlays, the latten carved with a sand-dollar motif. The second story has an overlay of vertical wood siding ending in a saw-tooth pattern and embellished with round bosses at angles. The saw-tooth pattern appears again window lintels on the second floor and as infill on the porch arches and over the door surround. Third floor dormers on the west facade have Gothic pointed windows which together with the asymmetry tall proportions of the whole provide an exterior with considerable visual activity and whimsy. The Northwest side of Watertown remained isolated until the 1920's when the area filled in with single and two family houses. Photographed by W.C. Woodman, 1977.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Watertown Free Public Library
- Architecture, Domestic--Watertown (Mass)--History
Historic sites--Watertown (Mass)
Historic buildings--Watertown (Mass.)
Watertown (Mass.)--Social life and customs
City and town life--Massachusetts--Watertown
- Management Restrictions apply. See application form at http://watertownlib.org/research/historic-watertown/photographs. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Dickinson house. 1977. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/rv043535p. (Accessed July 18, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1977) Dickinson house. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/rv043535p
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/rv043535p>.