David Allen Reed
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A portrait photograph of David Allen Reed, founder and first president of the School for Christian Workers (now Springfield College). It was Reed’s interest in the formal training of men who would devote their life to Christian service that led him to found the Springfield, MA school which was dedicated to training Sunday school teachers and YMCA workers. Reed was responsible for securing the funds and land necessary to start and expand the school to its current location on Massasoit Lake. Eventually, the YMCA department separated from the School for Christian Workers becoming the YMCA Training School and later the International YMCA Training College. In 1953 the name changed to Springfield College. In 1891 Reed resigned as president of the Training School but maintained his interest and connection until his death in 1932.
Photograph is mounted on a black picture board.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- School for Christian Workers (Springfield, Mass.)
Reed, David Allen
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- David Allen Reed. 1900-1920. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/631. (Accessed July 20, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1900-1920) David Allen Reed. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/631
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/631>.