Gould's Apothecary and Poplar Sweet Shoppe
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Frank Gould's Apothecary Shop was located in Lancaster Center. Located on the site of the A.L. Safford Store and Post Office (which burned down in 1913), it was built by Col. John E. Thayer, who wanted to ensure an architecturally pleasing building. Equipped with a marble soda fountain, it later became the Poplar Sweet Shoppe, so named for the row of poplar trees just to the north of the building. The elaborate white fencing was subsequently moved to the late Herbert Hosmer's property on East George Hill Road in South Lancaster. Note the trolley tracks running along Main Street.
Title from item or accompanying materials.
Date supplied by cataloger.
Published in: Images of America, Lancaster / Heather Maurer Lennon. Charleston, SC ; Chicago IL ; Portsmouth NH ; San Francisco CA. : Arcadia Publishing, 2001
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Lancaster Historical Society
- Stores & shops
- Rights status not evaluated. You may contact host institution for more information. This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).
- Chicago citation style
- Gould's Apothecary and Poplar Sweet Shoppe. 1913-2000. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871j657. (Accessed December 19, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1913-2000) Gould's Apothecary and Poplar Sweet Shoppe. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871j657
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871j657>.