Cattle Bank, Champaign, Illinois
View Full Image
Cattle Bank, Northeast corner, First Street and University Avenue, Champaign. It is also known as Heimlicher's Drug Store. The Cattle Bank dates from 1858. Its proposed demolition was forestalled in 1975 by action of the Champaign County Historical Museum and by the Champaign City Council. Purchased by the city of Champaign in 1977, it was later transferred to the private ownership of Leon Jeske and Edward Haas. With assistance from the Preservation and Conservation Association (PACA) of Champaign County and the Illinois State Department of Conservation, the building was restored by the owners for use as retail and office space. It is now the Champaign County Historical Museum. According to the web site of the Museum, this building is believed to be the oldest commercial building in Champaign. More details can be found at http://www.champaignmuseum.org/. Urban Treasure Hunt 16 History; 18 Social Systems
|Miller, Patricia L, Illinois Heritage Association|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
For any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdcfor more information about this project.