View Full Item
This is the third or four railroad depots in Madison, Indiana. In 1848 the railroad bought the old Flint Pork Packing House. A 346-foot train shed was added to the existing building to create a freight terminal nearly a block long. Trains could be driven inside the shed to load and unload freight and passengers. a new and larger facility was needed. Adjacent to the freight terminal a new passenger depot was completed in 1849. The brick building was 270 feet long with the track entering from the west end, allowing trains to pull inside for the loading and unloading of passengers. Rooftop ventilators allowed the escape of locomotive smoke and steam. In 1895 a new depot was built on First Street.
|Herbert M. Flora, photographer|
- Chicago citation style
- Herbert M. Flora, photographer. Madison Depot. 1880. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16066.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p4038coll5/id/441. (Accessed June 23, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Herbert M. Flora, photographer, (1880) Madison Depot. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16066.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p4038coll5/id/441
- MLA citation style
- Herbert M. Flora, photographer. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16066.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p4038coll5/id/441>.