• Creator
  • Miller, Patricia L; Illinois Heritage Association
  • Created Date
  • 08/26/02
  • Description
  • 108 W. Hill St., Champaign. When ground was broken in June 1902, civic leaders predicted this building would be "one of the most attractive and up-to-date structures in the twin cities." Valentine Jobst and Sons Construction Company of Peoria erected it at a cost of $20,000. The Elks Auditorium was sold after the Champaign and Urbana Elks lodges merged in 1974. The building has been remodeled many times. It now houses the Prairie Center for Su... more
    108 W. Hill St., Champaign. When ground was broken in June 1902, civic leaders predicted this building would be "one of the most attractive and up-to-date structures in the twin cities." Valentine Jobst and Sons Construction Company of Peoria erected it at a cost of $20,000. The Elks Auditorium was sold after the Champaign and Urbana Elks lodges merged in 1974. The building has been remodeled many times. It now houses the Prairie Center for Substance Abuse. The Italianate house in the background still can be seen today. Urban Treasure Hunt. 16 History. less
  • Format
  • Image26.jpg