Death of Carlyle
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A galley proof sheet of Walt Whitman's poem "Death of Carlyle," which was published in this version in the February 1881 issue of "The Critic," and later published with some changes as "Death of Thomas Carlyle." In the poem, Whitman reflects upon Thomas Carlyle's life, contributions to literature, and death.
The date 1888 is written on the sheet in an unknown hand, but the text is the same as the version of this poem published in "The Critic" in 1881. Later versions published in Whitman's "Specimen Days & Collect" have different text than this version.
- Whitman, Walt, 1819-1892
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
- Whitman, Walt, 1819-1892--Archives
Carlyle, Thomas, 1795-1881--Death and burial--Poetry
- Galley proofsProse poemsDocuments
- Public Domain: This material has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. While Amherst College Archives & Special Collections claims no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of this material cite the Archives & Special Collections at Amherst College as the source of the images and the repository where the original documents can be found. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Whitman, Walt, 1819-1892. Death of Carlyle. 1881. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:624208. (Accessed July 22, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Whitman, Walt, 1819-1892, (1881) Death of Carlyle. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:624208
- MLA citation style
- Whitman, Walt, 1819-1892. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:624208>.