- View Full Item
- Created Date
Located on the east side of Main Street just north of the Immaculate Conception Church, this dwelling was built in 1794 by Maj. Merrick Rice, who was a lawyer. Having built the place for a woman he hoped would become his wife, he sold it and left town when the marriage failed to take place. In 1814, Benjamin Pickman of Salem greatly enlarged the structure, turning it into an elegant Salem-styled mansion. This photograph shows the place as it looked in 1892.
Title from item or accompanying materials.
Date from item or accompanying materials.
Published in: Images of America, Lancaster / Heather Maurer Lennon. Charleston, SC ; Chicago IL ; Portsmouth NH ; San Francisco CA. : Arcadia Publishing, 2001
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Lancaster Historical Society
- Rights status not evaluated. You may contact host institution for more information. This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).
- Chicago citation style
- Rice-Pickman mansion. 1892. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871h85h. (Accessed December 11, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1892) Rice-Pickman mansion. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871h85h
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871h85h>.