Springfield College Panorama (1914)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This lantern slide, “Springfield College Panorama (1914),” shows a panorama of Springfield College from 1914, when it was known as the International YMCA College. Prominent buildings include the Administration Building, Judd Gymnasia, and Woods Hall. Just barely, as the lantern slide is severely damaged, you can make out many people standing in front of the buildings and around the road. This was most likely the student body and faculty of the school at this time. The YMCA and Springfield College share a unique history and partnership dating back to the establishment of the College, then known as the School for Christian Workers, in 1885. Springfield College was founded by David Allen Reed, a visionary minister who was deeply interested in the training and education of lay workers for churches and Association work. In 1890, supporters and donors sought to have the name and focus of the school changed to the International YMCA Training School, which eventually evolved into Springfield College as we know it today. A much cleaner duplicate can be found in the International YMCA College's 30th Catalog and Announcements for 1914-1915.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- International Young Men's Christian Association College
International YMCA College
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Springfield College Panorama (1914). 1914. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3253. (Accessed July 18, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1914) Springfield College Panorama (1914). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3253
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3253>.