- View Full Item
- Created Date
- ca 1904
Child's circular plate with eight Nouveau-style overlays on the everted rim alternating between front and back views of a girl in bonnet seated within a tulip-shaped arrangement of leaves atop a knotty trunk and holding the S-curved stem of a blooming flower. Engraved inscription across the shallow, flat well for "Elsie. / April 9\th (double underlined) / 1904. / From / Grandma M\c/Vitty." No foot ring. Well underside is struck incuse at top "Athenic" in gothic or Old English letters above Gorham trademark (lion passant facing right in clipped-corner square, anchor in shield, and gothic or Old English "G" in clipped-corner square), "STERLING" and "A2681"; and at bottom with an arched stamp for "THE BAILEY, BANKS & BIDDLE (arched) / COMPANY (straight)" enclosing "925 / 1000". Part of child's bowl and plate set, 1988.0762.02A-B.
Maker is Gorham Manufacturing Co. of Providence, RI, 1831-present. Retailed by Bailey, Banks Bailey Bailey, Banks & Biddle, 1878-present).
Currently not on view
- Gorham Manufacturing Company
- Smithsonian Institution
- Contributing Institution
- National Museum of American History
- Gifts & Presents
Gorham Manufacturing Company
- United States: Rhode Island, Providence
United States: Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
United States: Maryland, Baltimore
- Bequest of Elsie Howland Quinby in memory of Mrs. Duncan Cameron (through Woodson P. Houghton, Dr. Richard H. Howland, and Donald Lewis Wright)
- Chicago citation style
- Gorham Manufacturing Company. Plate. ca 1904. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://collections.si.edu/search/results.htm?q=record_ID%3Anmah_1050571&repo=DPLA. (Accessed November 16, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Gorham Manufacturing Company, (ca 1904) Plate. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://collections.si.edu/search/results.htm?q=record_ID%3Anmah_1050571&repo=DPLA
- MLA citation style
- Gorham Manufacturing Company. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://collections.si.edu/search/results.htm?q=record_ID%3Anmah_1050571&repo=DPLA>.