James H. McCurdy Application (April 7, 1888)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
The application of James Huff McCurdy's for admissions to the School for Christian Workers (now known as Springfield College) in Springfield, Massachusetts. Springfield College, the School for Christian Workers, was founded in 1885 originally to train General Secretaries or, as they are called today, CEOs of local YMCAs. In 1887, the school also began to train students to become Physical Directors or, as they refer to them here, Gymnasium Instructors. These were individuals who would run the Gymnasiums inside of the YMCA. It is appears that McCurdy used an application originally designed for a General Secretary position, as throughout the document this job title has been crossed out and the title "Gymnasium Instructor" written overhead. McCurdy Graduated in 1890. Dr. James H. McCurdy was an Instructor and Professor Emeritus at Springfield College, returning to the school in 1895. He contributed to the field of physical education in many ways, including his studies on the relationship between heart rate, blood pressure, and motor tasks in adolescent boys. In 1924, he published one of the first texts for Exercise Physiology. In 1918, James H. McCurdy realized the need “for an extensive programme of sports and recreation in the immediate postwar period that would bridge the gap and ease the transition between military service and civilian life.” The result was the Inter-Allied Games, the biggest international sports event that had ever been held at that time. Attended by 25,000 people, the Games were a huge success. Dr. McCurdy was the Director of the Division of Athletes, Hygiene and Health for the American YMCA among American troops in France.
Small creases from folding.
- McCurdy, J. H. (James Huff), 1866-1940
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College
Springfield College--Alumni and alumnae
School for Christian Workers (Springfield, Mass.)
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- McCurdy, J. H. (James Huff), 1866-1940. James H. McCurdy Application (April 7, 1888). 1888-04-07. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/8771. (Accessed July 23, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- McCurdy, J. H. (James Huff), 1866-1940, (1888-04-07) James H. McCurdy Application (April 7, 1888). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/8771
- MLA citation style
- McCurdy, J. H. (James Huff), 1866-1940. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/8771>.