Our Lady Queen of Angels, Old Mission Plaza Church
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- circa 1940
Exterior view of the Old Mission Church on North Main street.
La Iglesia Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles was first founded in 1814, but was destroyed by flooding before its completion. The construction site was moved slightly, and the completed structure was dedicated on December 8, 1822, making it the oldest church in the city of Los Angeles. For many years the little chapel, which collected the nicknames "La Placita" and "Plaza Church" served as the sole Roman Catholic church in Los Angeles. In 1860, a prolonged period of rain damaged the Spanish-style adobe facade, and it was remodeled in a more contemporary style featuring a low, triangular pediment flanked by two pointed buttresses. In 1868, the church was again remodeled, and a small cupola was installed in place of the more traditional campanario, or bell wall. In the early twentieth century, the pergola was removed, and the campanario was restored to its original shape.
On back: "Erected in 1814, and located on North Main Street at the Plaza in Los Angeles, is one of the few remaining land marks."
Printed on linen textured paper.
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- Loyola Marymount University, Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library
- Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library, Loyola Marymount University tichnor art company, L.A
- Church buildings--California--Los Angeles
Historic buildings--California--Los Angeles
Plaza Church (Los Angeles, Calif.)
El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historical Monument (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.)
- Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. Please refer to: http://library.lmu.edu/generalinformation/departments/digitallibraryprogram/copyrightandreproductionpolicy/
- Chicago citation style
- Unknown. Our Lady Queen of Angels, Old Mission Plaza Church. circa 1940. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://digitalcollections.lmu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/chgface/id/779. (Accessed December 10, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Unknown, (circa 1940) Our Lady Queen of Angels, Old Mission Plaza Church. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://digitalcollections.lmu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/chgface/id/779
- MLA citation style
- Unknown. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://digitalcollections.lmu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/chgface/id/779>.