Manila, Phillippines YMCA Building, c. 1915
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This photograph depicts the YMCA building in Manila, Philippines, c. 1915. The initial civilian YMCA in the Philippines was established to serve the ever increasing number of American young men who came to the Philippines to serve the government or to engage in business. Later, a plan was conceived for the development in Manila of an Association to serve also youths coming from many European countries. In 1908, this plan demonstrated the true value of the YMCA to the citizens of the Philippines and this paved the way for the establishment of a permanent Philippine YMCA Movement. The years that followed saw the establishment of principal centers and the provisions of adequate building facilities—in Manila, Fort McKinley, Cavite and Olongapo
A caption written on the verso of the photograph reads: "Manila 'Y'. Wing on right is gym.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Manila, Phillippines YMCA Building, c. 1915. 1915. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9110. (Accessed July 18, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1915) Manila, Phillippines YMCA Building, c. 1915. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9110
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9110>.