Solon House, 503 S. State St., Champaign, Illinois
View Full Image
The Solon House is one of the finest examples of the Italianate style in Champaign-Urbana. It features a low-pitched hip roof with wide overhanging eaves and large brackets. The windows are arched, surmounted by curved brickwork and limestone keystones. The cornice of the east façade is arched in the center above a round window. The entrance doors are also curved at the top. The house is topped by a square wooden cupola. More information about the Solon House can be found at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~solon/SolonHome.htm The Harwood-Solon House, as it is titled in the Champaign Landmark listing, was built c. 1865-69, probably by William C. Barrett, who was a real estate developer. He purchased the property in 1865 for $1500 and sold it in 1869 to Abel Harwood for $12,000. The jump in price suggests that the house was built during this period. In 1907 the heirs of Abel Harwood sold the property for $12,000 to Francis E. Solon. It remained in the Solon family until the 1990s. This information was taken from an article in the Preservation and Conservation Association Newsletter, Vol. 18, no. 3 (May-June 1998):1-2, which was based on the Champaign Landmark application written by Kim Riesterer. American Communities in History 16 History
|Illinois Heritage Association|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
For any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdcfor more information about this project.