Madison Hotel - Southwest Corner of Second and Mulberry - 120 East Second
View Full Item
Sources vary as to who designed the hotel, though it is generally credited to Francis Costigan. Another hotel, Fitzhugh's Hotel, which had been built in the 1830s was removed from the site and in 1849 the Madison Hotel was erected. It continued as a hotel until, in 1868, the Sisters of Providence bought the building for a girls' academy. It was called "The Academy of the Holy Angels." In 1884 the building was purchased by a consortium and was opened as the Madison Hotel with Judge John R. Cravens as president. The building changed hands several times and for some time during the 1900s it was called the Jefferson Hotel. Finally the grand old building fell on hard times and was sold in 1949 to Bernard Koehler and the building was demolished.
|Harry Lemen, photographer|