Main Street bridge between Webster and Dudley
View Full Item
Connecting the Main Streets of Webster and Dudley, sometimes called "The Great Bridge", this keystone arch stone bridge was constructed in 1868. The granite stones for the bridge were quarried out of the ledge on the Merino Village (Dudley) side of the French River. The first stone was laid on September 28, 1868 by H.H. Stevens, founder of Stevens Linen Mill. The old Central Turnpike passed over this bridge. The cost of the bridge was $12,000, the cost split evenly by the towns of Webster and Dudley.
Part of the local history collection of the Chester C. Corbin Public Library, Webster, Massachusetts
|Chester C. Corbin Public Library|
French River (Mass. and Conn.)
Rights status not evaluated. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Main Street bridge between Webster and Dudley. 1890-1920. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/fb494s563. (Accessed June 25, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1890-1920) Main Street bridge between Webster and Dudley. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/fb494s563
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/fb494s563>.