Obon, Rohwer, Arkansas
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Photographed are Akiko An and Kiku Tanimoto, Ayame May Okine, and Dorothy Ai Okine. It is taken during the obon event in the Rohwer incarceration camp. The handwritten notes on the backside read: Obon, Rohwer, Arkansas. A photograph from "Dorothy Ai Aoki photo album" (csudh_oki_0300), page 11.
black and white
The Okine Collection contains materials collected by Seiichi and Tomeyo Okine who were Issei flower growers in Whittier, California. It includes correspondence, photographs, financial documents, and a photo album. A large portion of the collection consists of family correspondence with Seiichi and Tomeyo Okine, including letters from their Nisei children, Masao and Makoto Okine, both soldiers overseas during World War II, to their Issei parents incarcerated in the Rohwer incarceration camp in McGehee, Arkansas. The correspondence also includes letters from their relatives and friends who are former incarcerees in the camps during the war and have “resettled” in Chicago, Illinois as well as letters from the Okines’ family members in Hiroshima, Japan during the Allied occupation of Japan. In addition, the collection includes a family photo album compiled by Dorothy Ai Aoki, a Nisei daughter to the Okines.
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- California State University, Dominguez Hills, Archives and Special Collections
- World War II--Incarceration camps--Holidays and festivals
World War II--Incarceration camps--Religion
Community activities--Festivals, celebrations, and holidays--Obon
Identity and values--Issei
Identity and values--Nisei
- Permission to publish the image must be obtained from the CSUDH Archives as owner of the physical item and copyright. In instances when the copyright ownership is not clear it is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain copyright permission.
- Chicago citation style
- Obon, Rohwer, Arkansas. [1943-1945]. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16855.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16855coll4/id/13656. (Accessed December 18, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- ([1943-1945]) Obon, Rohwer, Arkansas. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16855.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16855coll4/id/13656
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16855.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16855coll4/id/13656>.