Written history of Ballard Grade School, 1860 - 1948
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- 1860 - 1948
This history of the Ballard Grade School was written by Dale M. Sutter. In the early 1860s, a school was built on the NW corner of Section 34 and named for nearby land owners, Frank and Harve Ballard. In 1869, it was moved and a larger school was built. In 1915 it was remodeled and became the first rural school in McLean County to install a jacketed stove for the comfort and safety of the pupils. It was consolidated with Unit 5 in 1948.
Ballard School Ballard School was typical of the many one room schools that were found throughout Towanda Township. It was established in the early 1860s on approximately one acre of land on the northwest corner of section 34 of Towanda Township, The current day address would be the southeast corner of 1500 North - 2100 East. The school was named for nearby land owners Frank and Harve Ballard. The first building was replaced with a larger one in ...
- Contributing Institution
- Towanda Area Historical Society/Towanda District Library
- The images in the Towanda Area Historical Society digital library may be viewed, downloaded, and printed for personal or educational use, but any commercial use is prohibited, without permission. Questions may be directed to the historical society at email@example.com or through the Towanda Illinois District Library at (309)728-2176.
- Chicago citation style
- Written history of Ballard Grade School, 1860 - 1948. 1860 - 1948. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/tdl/id/1490. (Accessed December 14, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1860 - 1948) Written history of Ballard Grade School, 1860 - 1948. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/tdl/id/1490
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/tdl/id/1490>.