World War I Poster - Keep'em smiling!
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A United War Work Campaign poster. The top half shows an illustration of a smiling marine with his arms around a soldier and a civilian. Below it says: “keep’em smiling! Help War Camp Community Service.” The bottom left has the “War Camp Community Service” emblem and the text “‘morale is winning the war.’” At the request of the Commissions on Training Camp Activities, the Playground and Recreation Association of America formed the United War Work Campaign, bringing together seven organizations: the YMCA, the YWCA, the American Library Association, the War Camp Community Service, the Knights of Columbus, the Jewish Welfare Board, and the Salvation Army. They provided soldiers with access to “better” sources of entertainment, such as movies, theaters, libraries and museums, swimming pools, gymnasiums, athletic fields, and clubs. They also secured invitations to local homes, thereby allowing soldiers to meet chaperoned girls of high society. Their goal was to prevent the spread of venereal diseases by providing alternative entertainment. Leone M. Bracker, the artist who drew the picture on the poster, was an American visual artist who was born in 1885 and died in 1937. He appears to have illustrated several books such as A Man in the Open (1923) and The Iron Trail (1913). For duplicate - http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2221
Scale is not 1:1 because item was digitized using a Canon EOS Rebel T1i. For true size, see "Extent" field. Poster was digitized for documentation not for print or projects, so for a higher quality image, see duplicate (SC16977): http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2221; This poster is in better condition than its duplicate, which has acid damage and is missing the bottom left-hand corner.
- Bracker, M. Leone (1885-1937)
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- United War Work Campaign
- World War, 1914-1918
International Young Men's Christian Association
War Camp Community Service
United War Work Campaign
Commissions on Training Camp Activities
Playground and Recreation Association of America
American Library Association
Knights of Columbus
Jewish Welfare Board
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Bracker, M. Leone (1885-1937). World War I Poster - Keep'em smiling!. 1918. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/6518. (Accessed July 18, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Bracker, M. Leone (1885-1937), (1918) World War I Poster - Keep'em smiling!. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/6518
- MLA citation style
- Bracker, M. Leone (1885-1937). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/6518>.