• Creator
  • Unknown
  • Created Date
  • 1910
  • Description
  • Pioneer David Denny owned the land south of Lake Union. In 1882, he opened the Western Mill on the lake's southern shore. A small community soon grew up around the lumber mill. In 1899 John S. Brace and Frank Hergert, both previously employed at the Western Mill, purchased it and changed the name to Brace & Hergert. A fire destroyed the mill in 1909 and it was then rebuilt on newly filled land north of Valley Street, as shown in this photograp... more
    Pioneer David Denny owned the land south of Lake Union. In 1882, he opened the Western Mill on the lake's southern shore. A small community soon grew up around the lumber mill. In 1899 John S. Brace and Frank Hergert, both previously employed at the Western Mill, purchased it and changed the name to Brace & Hergert. A fire destroyed the mill in 1909 and it was then rebuilt on newly filled land north of Valley Street, as shown in this photograph. The mill continued under the ownership of Brace and Hergert until 1921. less
  • Format
  • image
    photograph
    Scanned from original print as a 300 dpi TIFF image in 8-bit grayscale, levels balanced, resized to 640 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3
  • Rights
  • Museum of History & Industry, Seattle