Ice harvesting on Lake Massasoit (1898)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This photograph shows people harvesting ice and walking out on Springfield Massachusetts' Lake Massasoit. The lake is covered in snow. There are two open spots with people on the edges with these areas with other devices used to harvest ice. There also appears to be horses pulling blocks out in the middle of the lake. The picture was said to be taken on March 3, 1898. In 1809, Lake Massasoit was formed by the army by damming the Mill River. The purpose of the dam was to ensure a constant flow of water downstream for the Springfield Armory “Watershops.” The Springfield Armory was America’s first and last National Armory, formed in 1777 and continuing production up until 1968. The formerly named Watershops Pond has 7 miles of shoreline and covers 186 acres. From 1892-1900, the buildings of Springfield College began to come about, and the name was changed to Lake Massasoit by Springfield College officials. The name came from a local hotel, the Massasoit House, owned by Marvin Chapin, a generous benefactor of the college. In 1920, the college purchased a large area of land on the upper end of the pond, and called it the “Freshman Camp.” Since the college was formed, students, faculty and visitors have used the Pond for sailing, swimming, ice skating and fishing. However, the lake was officially closed for swimming in 1984 when the lake was said to be unhealthy. Ice harvesting on the pond was a large industry for many decades. The Springfield Ice Company was formed in 1858, and maintained ice houses on the shores of what is now Lake Massasoit. Two large stables were built along the shoreline to house 60 to 80 horses. These horses, along with wagons, were used for ice harvesting up until the early 1930’s, in which trucks took over to make all of the deliveries. Cutting the ice on the pond also ended at this time, as the building of an ice house took place to manufacture ice.
This image reads "March 3, 1898. Looking East from the Library." It also contains the name John Nesbitt (Class of 1900) who presumably photographed the scene
- Nesbitt, John A
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Nesbitt, John A. Ice harvesting on Lake Massasoit (1898). 1898-03-03. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9260. (Accessed July 21, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Nesbitt, John A, (1898-03-03) Ice harvesting on Lake Massasoit (1898). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9260
- MLA citation style
- Nesbitt, John A. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9260>.