Rear View of Judd Gymnasia, 1898
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph taken of the back of Judd Gymnasia in 1898. The image features several students who appear to be playing a game on the field located behind east gymnasium. Also visible in the photograph is the campus's first dormitory, known today as the Administration Building. Judd Gymnasia was the first building erected on the new land purchased for the YMCA Training School, now Springfield College, along Massasoit Lake in Springfield, Massachusetts. Morrissey and Shea’s Corporation completed construction on the building in September of 1894 and it was formally opened on October 26, 1894. The original gymnasium, known today as East Gymnasium, was where James Naismith taught classes and coached the school’s basketball team however it is not the gymnasium where basketball was invented.
The image is mounted on photo board and has a handwritten note on the back which indicates the picture was taken in November 1898; Series were added to this collection, changing the file name. File names of the uploaded files contain the old name
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Administration Building
International Young Men's Christian Association Training School (Springfield, Mass.)
Stitzer YMCA Center
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Rear View of Judd Gymnasia, 1898. 1898-11. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/920. (Accessed July 17, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1898-11) Rear View of Judd Gymnasia, 1898. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/920
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/920>.