Crown duel [book review]
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Smith, Sherwood. Crown Duel: Book 1 of the Crown and Court Duet. Harcourt Brace, 1997. ISBN 0-15-201608-2. $17.00. 214 pp. A 4-12 FI Reviewed by Lillian H. Heil Sherwood Smith's Crown Duel is the fast- moving action story of fiery young Countess Meliara of Remalna, who, with her older brother Branaric, wants to save her country from a greedy king named Galdran. At the end of this nonstop adventure tale of fights, capture, flight and resolution, the reader is surprised to realize the action has really been the vehicle for portraying memorable characters, especially the character of Meliara. The first-person account is by Meliara, and the reader learns to expect that she will plunge into every situation with minimal thought about the consequences. Her fortitude in the face of enormous difficulties, her willingness to admit her mistakes, and her concern for others make her an appealing, if stubborn, young woman. The first mistake she admits is getting captured by the enemy: For at last I faced the real truth: that by my own carelessness, I might well have graveled our entire cause.” I have to confess that, for a short time, hot tears of rage and self- loathing stung my eyes and dripped down my face. In the very last few pages of the book, Meliara is still admitting she has misjudged people and situations: I had been so wrong I had nearly gotten a lot of people killed for no reason. Just thinking it made me grit my teeth and in a way felt almost as bad as cleaning the fester from my wounded foot. Which was right, because I had to clean out from my mind the fester caused by anger and hatred. A heroine who is willing to admit such mistakes and make mighty changes is definitely worth reading about. Meliara's last change is not revealed until the final two pages of the book, and it should endear her to the heart of all teachers. Finally Meliara has harnessed her restless, impetuous spirit and is able to lose herself in the service of her people. It's the kind of book that makes you impatient to read Book Number 2 of this series. I shall be looking forward to its publication.
214 p. ; 24 cm.
Children's Book and Play Review, November / December 1997
- Heil, Lillian
- Contributing Institution
- Brigham Young University - Harold B. Lee Library
- Book review
Brothers and sisters--Juvenile fiction
Determination (Personality trait)--Juvenile fiction
- The information available on this site, including any text, computer codes, data, artwork, video, audio, images or graphics (collectively the "Material") are protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws. Parties other than Brigham Young University ("BYU") may own copyright in the Material. We encourage the use of this Material for non-profit and educational purposes only, such as personal research, teaching and private study. For these limited purposes, Material from this web site may be displayed and printed, and all copies must include any copyright notice originally included with the Material. Additionally, a credit line must be included with each item used, citing the article or review author, title or article or review, title of the database, sponsoring agency, date of your access to the electronic file, and the electronic address.; Copyright 2002, Brigham Young University; public
- Chicago citation style
- Heil, Lillian. Crown duel [book review]. 1997-12. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://utah-primoprod.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/primo_library/libweb/action/dlDisplay.do?vid=MWDL&afterPDS=true&docId=digcoll_byu_12CBPR/629. (Accessed November 16, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Heil, Lillian, (1997-12) Crown duel [book review]. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://utah-primoprod.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/primo_library/libweb/action/dlDisplay.do?vid=MWDL&afterPDS=true&docId=digcoll_byu_12CBPR/629
- MLA citation style
- Heil, Lillian. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://utah-primoprod.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/primo_library/libweb/action/dlDisplay.do?vid=MWDL&afterPDS=true&docId=digcoll_byu_12CBPR/629>.