B.F. Harris, II House, Champaign, Illinois - a selection of images
View Full Image
Different views of the B.F. Harris II House. B. F. Harris, II, was the grandson of B. F. Harris, senior. He is sometimes referred to as B. F. Harris, Jr. The grandfather, B. F. Harris, Sr. came to Champaign County in the 1830s. He lived in a log cabin, but soon became a successful cattle baron, driving cattle overland to Chicago, Philadelphia, and New York City. He lived on a five thousand acre farm near present Mahomet. B. F. Harris is credited with founding the Cattle Bank. He also founded the First National Bank of Champaign in 1865. His son, Henry H. Harris, and grandson, B. F. Harris, II continued in the banking profession. B. F. Harris, II owned and operated the Urbana and Champaign Railway during the 1890s. He established the West End Amusement Park on West Church Street to encourage people to ride to the end of the line. He built his large mansion on the southeast corner of Church St. and Prospect Avenue in 1904. The house later stood empty for many years, starting in the 1930s. In 1957 it opened as Cole Hospital. Today it is a health care facility, The Pavilion. B.F. Harris; American Communities in History 15 Economics; 16 History
|Illinois Heritage Association|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
Champaign County, Illinois
For any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdcfor more information about this project.