Serpent Mound aerial view
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Reverse reads: "Aerial view of Serpent Mound largest serpent effigy mound in the world near Fort Hill Adams County" The Serpent Mound, containing three parts, extends approximately 1, 370 feet ((420m) and varies in height from less than a foot to three feet. It conforms to the land where it rests with its head approaching a cliff above a stream and its body winds back and forth over eight hundred feet with seven coils. It's tail ends in a triple coil. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on Oct 15, 1966. The serpent has an open mouth extending around the east of a 120 foot-long hollow oval feature. Some scholars theory is that the oval feature is an egg, the sun, the body of a frog, or the remnant of a platform.
Ohio Federal Writers' Project
- Ohio Digital Network
- Contributing Institution
- Ohio History Connection
- Ohio Guide Collection
- Adams County (Ohio)
- Standardized Rights Statement
- No Copyright - In the United States:The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Ohio Federal Writers' Project. Serpent Mound aerial view. 1930s. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p267401coll34/id/7399. (Accessed December 6, 2023.)
- APA citation style
- Ohio Federal Writers' Project, (1930s) Serpent Mound aerial view. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p267401coll34/id/7399
- MLA citation style
- Ohio Federal Writers' Project. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p267401coll34/id/7399>.