• Created Date
  • 1946
  • Publisher
  • Springfield College
  • Description
  • This photograph shows the enclosed walkway that was located on the International YMCA College (now Springfield College) campus during World War II when the campus was used as a US Navy Special Hospital. In this picture, the walkway is set back with Lake Massasoit in the front. Alumni Hall, the power plant, and the Administration Building are also visible in the distance. The enclosed walkway was used by members of the navy to easily go between... more
    This photograph shows the enclosed walkway that was located on the International YMCA College (now Springfield College) campus during World War II when the campus was used as a US Navy Special Hospital. In this picture, the walkway is set back with Lake Massasoit in the front. Alumni Hall, the power plant, and the Administration Building are also visible in the distance. The enclosed walkway was used by members of the navy to easily go between Alumni Hall (hospital rooms) Woods Hall (cafeteria), and the Administration Building (offices) no matter what their injuries were or what the weather was. During the start of World War II, Springfield College served as training grounds for the Army Air Corps, which allotted the college $90,000 for upgrading facilities. In the spring of 1944, the training program was canceled; in order to conserve its assets for expanded postwar operations in the face of decreasing student enrollment, Springfield College negotiated a contract with the U.S. Navy to serve as a Naval Special Hospital. The Navy allotted $75,000 to bring the college up to the mark of a naval hospital, and the first contingent of one hundred and fifty patients arrived on September 22, 1944, and it was estimated that five hundred patients could be served. Alumni Hall was used as the hospital, and the old dormitory (now called the Administration Building) became administrative offices and housing for nurses and WAVES (Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service). All photographs in the scrapbook had a number. The number for this photograph was 886, placed beside the photograph. Is part of the 1946-1948 photograph scrapbook. less
  • Format
  • Photographs
  • Rights
  • Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.