• Description
  • The observatory was built in 1895 using sandstone left over from building Denny Hall. Features include an 1891 six-inch refracting telescope and Civil War cannonballs on which the glass dome rotates. ("A Campus Walk," University of Washington pamphlet, 1996.)The taller structure was built in 1904 as a water tower and became a chimes tower in 1914. The twelve bells were donated by Col. A.J. Blethen, the publisher of the Seattle Times. Students ... more
    The observatory was built in 1895 using sandstone left over from building Denny Hall. Features include an 1891 six-inch refracting telescope and Civil War cannonballs on which the glass dome rotates. ("A Campus Walk," University of Washington pamphlet, 1996.)The taller structure was built in 1904 as a water tower and became a chimes tower in 1914. The twelve bells were donated by Col. A.J. Blethen, the publisher of the Seattle Times. Students who disliked Blethen's sometimes unscrupulous business practices protested the acceptance of the gift, but were overruled by the regents. The tower burned down in 1949. ("University of Washington: A Pictorial History," UW Libraries web exhibit.)Filed in: UW - Observatory (#477). less
  • Format
  • Photograph: color
    6 3/8 x 15 1/2 in.
    Scanned as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 24-bit RGB color or 8-bit grayscale, resized to 640 or 600 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3