Towne Student Health Center in Winter
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This photograph is the front entrance of Springfield College's Towne Student Health Center during the Winter, as snow can be seen on the ground. The Towne Health Center, located on Wilbraham Avenue, was established in 1966, after the college acquired 5.3 acres of property from the Western Massachusetts Electric Company. In 1970, Richard and Marion Towne granted $125,000 to make the Towne Student Health Center at Springfield College possible, and reconstruction was also completed this same year. The reconstructed building took the place of Weiser Infirmary, or Hall as it is called now. In the beginning, the Towne Health Center, a 15 bed infirmary, contained a variety of clinics that were open at various times throughout the week. These included the counseling center, medical clinics, orthopedic clinic, surgical clinics, gynecological clinic and a nurse’s clinic. The Health Center was open 24 hours, 7 days a week except for during school vacations, and was staffed with a full time and part time staff of doctors and nurses. Today, the Towne Health center is still available to students during the weekdays. The orthopedic, counseling center, medical, and gynecological clinic are available for students to attend. Additional services such as a nutritional clinic, laboratory testing, allergy shots, IV therapy, EKG’s, prescription writing, and physical therapy services are also now available.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College
Towne Student Health Center
Towne Health Center
Student health center
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Towne Student Health Center in Winter. 1972-1990. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7244. (Accessed July 16, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1972-1990) Towne Student Health Center in Winter. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7244
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7244>.