Bayonvillers (August 1918)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This lantern slide, “Bayonvillers (August 1918),” shows three soldiers inspecting an overturned German gun near a Y.M.C.A. The slide’s caption reads “Bayonvillers. Aug 1918. Overturned Ger. 8" gun near YMCA.” This was likely taken after the Battle of Amiens during World War I in France, when the Australian 4th and 5th Divisions recaptured from German troops the village of Bayonvillers. During World War I, the Australian Y.M.C.A. ran soldiers’ clubs in Cairo, Alexandria, and elsewhere. They also pooled their resources with the United States, Canada, England, and New Zealand to form the International Hospitality League, which provided social services to all Allied troops. This slide is part of Springfield College’s collection of lantern slides depicting Australian Y.M.C.A. war work during World War I.
Minor discoloration in center; Writing on frame of slide says: Bayonvillers. Aug 1918. Overturned Ger. 8" gun near YMCA
Part of the Australian Y.M.C.A. WWI Lantern Slide Series
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- International Young Men's Christian Association
World War, 1914-1918
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Bayonvillers (August 1918). 1918-08. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2857. (Accessed July 21, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1918-08) Bayonvillers (August 1918). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2857
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2857>.