• Created Date
  • 1947
  • Description
  • The Garden of Allah was opened in 1946 by Fred Coleman and Frank Reid. It was Seattle's first gay-owned and operated gay bar. It was located in the basement of the Arlington Hotel, on 1st Avenue between University Street and Seneca Street. It was a known for vaudeville acts and female impersonation. The Garden of Allah was described as a safe place for both gay men and lesbians to gather. It closed in 1956.
  • Format
  • Photograph
    image
    Scanned from an original photograph using a ScanMaker 6800 at 100-175 dpi in JPEG format at compression rate 3 and resized to 768x600 ppi. 2014