University of Illinois Armory (Kenney Gym Annex), Champaign, Illinois
View Full Image
1402 with Springfield Avenue, Urbana. Kenney Gym was also known as the Military Drill Hall and Men's Gymnasium. The architect were Nathan C. Ricker and Nelson Strong Spencer. Since 1986, it has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The armory, built to free space for machine shops in the old mechanical building and drill hall, was dedicated at commencement ceremonies in 1890. Architect Nathan Clifford Ricker sited the new building at the head of Burrill Avenue, facing south toward University Hall. His engineering skill created a large space without interior supports. It has been used for military drills, dances, and as a gymnasium. Following World War II, it served as a student dormitory for returning servicemen. Urban Treasure Hunt; World War II 16 History
|Miller, Patricia L, Illinois Heritage Association|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
For any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdcfor more information about this project.