The Second Hermitage
- View Full Item
Etching of the second Hermitage featuring a front view of the house and side building surrounded by trees with horses in the foreground. The original inspiration image is credited to the collection of Mr. Herbert Fletcher.
Construction on the second Hermitage began in 1819. This large, brick Federal-style house replaced the grouping of log structures erected on the property after Andrew Jackson purchased the farm in 1804. A central hall opened to four rooms on each of the two stories. Lafayette visited the Hermitage in 1825. This house was damaged by fire in 1834 and rebuilt.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Standardized Rights Statement
- This Rights Statement should be used for Items for which the copyright status is unknown and for which the data provider has not undertaken an effort to determine the copyright status of the work.
- Chicago citation style
- The Second Hermitage. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/bernhardt/id/94. (Accessed October 21, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- The Second Hermitage. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/bernhardt/id/94
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/bernhardt/id/94>.